Tuesday 5 January 2016

December wrap-up/January TBR

Hi everyone!
I hope you have all had an amazing NYE and are ready for the new year! In this wrap-up I'm going to tell you a little bit about the books I read in december, as well as tell you about the books I want to read in january, it's a lot, so let's get going!


I managed to read about 4 books in december, and one short story. In this month I read:


Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge. I love Beauty and the Beast, I love fairytale retellings and I love high-fantasy, so Cruel Beauty sounded like it would be right up my alley! The story follows Nyx, a young woman who, due to a deal her father made, has to get married to a demon. This demon is Ignifex, who rules the kingdom and is known as the king of bargains. He is the most powerful man in the land and Nyx has to kill him. I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads. The book itself is written decently, never blowing me away, but also never really bad, but the story is a great and interesting twist on the classic tale. Sometimes the story did get a bit to complicated for me to follow, due to concepts I don't really think the author understood either, but all things considered I did enjoy it!

The Turing test by Beth Revis. The Turing test was the short story I spoke of earlier. I can't tell much about it without giving anything away, but it's definitely worth the read! The story is about robots, androids and what it means to be human. That's basically all you need to know about it. You can find the entire story right here! I gave it a 4/5 star review.

Clockwork prince and Clockwork princess by Cassandra Clare. I decided to put these two together. Clockwork prince and Clockwork princess are the second and third book in the Infernal Devices-trilogy. I rated both of them 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads. The story takes place in the shadowhunter-universe, right where the first book ended, and still follows our main character Tessa Gray. I have never been a big fan of the Mortal instruments-series by Cassandra Clare, mainly due to the story and main characters. The world and the side characters were really interesting. That's why I decided to give the Infernal devices-trilogy a chance. While I again wasn't keen on the main love-interest Tessa married, I won't spoil who, I did like Tessa and the other man in her life. The storyline, even with its sometimes ridiculous sidetracks, was actually very intriguing.


De stem van de zee by Mara Li. I went into this book not knowing what it exactly was about, and I'm glad I did. This book wasn't a really great one, but for a debut novel it was actually quite good. You could really notice the author loved writing this story and cared very much for the characters. I wrote a full (in Dutch) review right here! 

In January I want to read these books:

Winter by Marissa Meyer
The rest of us just live here by Patrick Ness
Blue lily, lily blue by Maggie Stiefvater

I'm not planning on reading too many books this year, considering I have a lot of school exams this month! This means I'll be spending a lot of time studying and unfortunately not a lot of time reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment